APPAREL PRODUCT DESIGNER
FULL TIME BASED IN EDINBURGH STUDIO
REPORTING INTO DESIGN & PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT MANAGER & PRODUCTION MANAGER
This role is to work directly with the Design and Product Development Manager,Production Manager and Creative Director. You will work closely with the design team, ensuring their concepts are executed for each collection. You will be required to deliver the product development process from the initial design handover of the range plan through to submission of the selling samples. During the development process you will need to ensure styles are constructed cost effectively, meet deadlines and liaise with manufacturers daily ensuring requests and deliveries are met in line with the critical path. You will also work closely with the Production manager to ensure product handoveris seamless and assist with ensuring bulk delivery is executed within deadlines. This role must ensure to bring strength, urgency, and detailed/organised work to each collection, as well as understanding the business requirements in terms of commercial needs/margin to support the growth of the business.
*Please note: Candidates are only considered when CV is supported with a PDF portfolio demonstrating industry standard illustrator design packs.
KEY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Building and maintaining a close working relationship with design and production
- Acting as the development partner for design during fit sessions, providing feedback on technical feasibility, brainstorming ideas and solutions to ensure the design vision is translated into product.
- Assist the design team with initial tech pack creation on Illustrator.
- Assist the design team with building sample schedules.
- Building and maintaining tech packs, garment specifications and BOMs throughout the development process.
- Submitting tech packs, product specifications to manufacturers and clearly communicating all design details / construction methods required.
- Ensuring any supplier submissions and samples are received in line with agreed deadlines.
- Reviewing size charts and specifications, graded specs
- Work together with the Design & Product Development Manager and Production manager to analyse and challenge the garment cost breakdown as well as providing alternative solutions to help hit target cost where needed.
- Build estimated cost breakdowns to allow prediction of margin.
- Responsible for delivering samples from prototype to selling samples inline with key dates on the critical path.
- Responsible for ensuring functionality and ensuring products are developed that are fit for purpose for the customer, brand and business
- Good knowledge of fabric and trim sourcing with continual research to drive innovation and help build on the existing materials / trim library.
- Attend fit sessions of intial proto-types through to pre-production samples each season ensuring materials, trims and colours are confirmed with design and to liaise with the factory base on any potential changes.
- Improve efficiency and help set up standards to avoid errors
- Assist the Design and Development Manager to manage the range plan during the development stages as this evolves
- Assist the Production Manager in managing the process of component approval into production – liaising with design i.e., lab dips approvals and ensuring materials are approved and fit for purpose.
- This will be across the entire collection, every season.
- Supporting sales team with product information and maintain seasonalproduct guide.
- Maintaining good relationships and communication with our supply base.
- Good understanding of the QC process and procedures.
- Must have 2 years of experience in product development/production
- Must have advanced knowledge in Excel and Adobe Illustrator
- Must have basic understanding of pattern drafting / block & fit
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must have strong time management and organisational skills
- Must be self-motivated with a strong sense of urgency
- Good technical knowledge
- Ability to support conflict resolution
- Ideally experience across apparel and accessories
- Experience of attending fit sessions
- Experience of working directly with suppliers and factories
- Good knowledge of the fashion industry
- Strong knowledge of fabrics and technical components
- Understanding of pattern drafting and how to fit a garment
- Ability to prioritise, manage and coordinate multiple activities simultaneously
- Stress-resilient and solution oriented
- A strong eye for detail and high level of accuracy
- Tenacious, assertive and determined attitude with excellent attention to detail
- Good negotiation, organisational and problem-solving skills
- Dedicated, hardworking and committed person willing to progress as the company grows
- Passionate about the product
- Demonstrates taste level that aligns with the brand
- Travel may be required
Note: The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Kestin is a Scottish men’s clothing brand founded by Kestin Hare, and based in his hometown of Edinburgh, Scotland. Kestin the brand was created to redefine modern Scottish design by blending innovation with tradition. Based in Edinburgh, the company culture is dynamic and entrepreneurial but with a strategic vision. The culture of this fast-growing brand requires strong organisational skills, team players, good communication skills, a “Can Do” and 360 approach.
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org